BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Natural Hair Vs Permed Hair


So I was watching Tyra's Show, I love that show, and the topic was about good hair. There was this argument that long straight or wave hair was good hair and kinky hair was bad hair. This woman who gets perms said that we are living a in a Euro-American society and no longer living in Africa and we need to adapt to the customs. She even said that kinky her was undignified and unprofessional. As a person who is currently permed up growing my hair to be natural, I am completely appaulled by this statement. Their was this little African American girl who was 5 and she hated her hair so much she wore a hanna montana wig! She felt like she was pretty in it. I was so sad for her because I never felt like that, not about my hair anyway. I feel like the black culture is beautiful, organic and diverse. I don't believe in GOOD HAIR. Its stupid no hair type who be better than another. The media and society as a whole keeps brainwashing my people into this ridiculous ideas that I think its just sickening. However I could be stuck in a fantasy world.

Do you agree that all people should adapt to euro-american culture?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its all about defining beauty... how do you tell a little girls she's beautiful if her definition of beauty constitutes her as ugly. Permed hair or not I dont see the big deal, its just another aspect that adds to the beauty of our race. How ever you wear your hair wear it for you and have a reason... cuz honestly its not about us, we are all grown and developed our own opinions, its about the little girl in the wig, whose opinion is soley based on the information she recieves from the media.

Anonymous said...

Well, I do not believe that perming is good in shape form or fashion. Yet, we as African American women have grown up in this Euro-American culture with the misfortune of being brain washed into thinking that straight hair is more attractive than kinky. Just like alot of our black men tend to think that white women are more attracive than black women. Black women in turn in order to keep the black mans attentions on her takes on the idea to look more white ...hence permed hair.

Kibatsu said...

Thank you so much for your comments. I cannot say I disagree. How we define beauty is a cause for concern because, I was talking to one of my sista's and she was telling me its not about good hair but healthy hair. There are people destroying their hair to have the euro-american image. I know because I am a victim of this. I wanted so deseperately too look like everyone else that I wasn't thinking about how my hair was going to react to all these chemicals followed by intense heat.

I believe that your hair and the way you wear it shows personality and individuality however when you are changing your hair to express someone else and not yourself then its a sad story.

Anonymous said...

I caught a lot of flak from a lot of people when i went natural two years ago, and it made me angry. I don't define myself by my hair, so what gives people to define me in that way?

I'm happy with my afro, and if people can't handle it, then go kick rocks.

Anonymous said...

I saw this episode...
I was upset and happy mixed emotions..
So many uneducated people..when it comes to natural hair.. Anywho I love my Natural Hair!!

I would love for you to follow my blog and tell me what you think about my jewelry and if I should see (If its good enough!!)

Please Tell others too

!!